Ace Environmental Holdings, LLC
ACE Environmental Holdings, LLC (ACE) is a full-service environmental contractor dedicated to meeting the specialized needs of our clients. ACE is a locally owned and operated business with over 100 years of combined experience. The company principals provide hands-on, practical experience in all aspects of the environmental field, working for both the large and small, in the private and public sectors.
Ace was formed by Randi Barra and Rick Rasmussen in 2005. There were no other employees at that time – the owners handled anything and everything. After several months of a lot of work, little sleep and no paycheck, they hired the first employee and the company began to grow slowly. Over the years, the company purchased equipment and hired qualified employees. All profit that was realized was invested back into the company. The company philosophy of controlled growth allowed Ace to keep debt low and the company strong. Today, Ace has the best employees in the industry and a growing fleet.
Ace has serviced the Baltimore-Washington Metro area since 2005. At Ace, we combine the resources of our technical experience and our skilled workmanship, which results in a complete work implementation, centralized management, and single-point of contact for communication. We have developed our company to provide highly efficient, cost-effective and professional services. Ace is your trustworthy partner when it comes to various environmental services. Ace is a full-service environmental contractor specializing in 24-hour emergency spill response, tank management, industrial cleaning, hazardous waste and non-hazardous waste disposal and site assessment/remediation projects.
In October 2018, Ace Environmental Services, LLC became Ace Environmental Holdings, LLC. Headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, our company is staffed with personnel trained in evaluation, transportation, disposal, management, installation, and/or inspections for all aspects of environmental industry work. Whether it involves underground or aboveground tank inspection, maintenance, removal and/or closure, consulting and/or engineering, we have what it takes to service your needs. We also cover hazardous and non-hazardous waste transportation and disposal, emergency spill response, vacuum extraction, tank cleaning, high pressure water blasting, spill control, storm water maintenance and more. We provide environmental consulting, engineering, and technical field services related to assessment, remediation, on-site remediation of soil and groundwater and compliance for all environmental media. We also offer a host of value-added strategic and practical solutions.
Butch Cummings – General Manager
Butch has been employed in the fuel industry for more than 20 years initially as a CDL licensed driver and driver trainer. He is the General Manager for Ace and has over 15 years of experience in safety and compliance management including overall management experience. Butch has been involved in the inside and outside sales for commercial fuel and environmental services and currently coordinates all aspects of the emergency spill response for Ace. Outside of work you can find Butch on the football field, either playing center in adult recreational leagues and/or coaching kids football.
• Qualifications: Certified Confined Space Worker/Trainer; OSHA HAZMAT Training; Hazardous Materials Incident Commander; CPR/First Aid Training; HAZ COM-29CFR 1910.1200 (h); Driver Safety; OSHA certified in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120 Hazardous Waste Operations Trainer; Class B Commercial Driver's License; Terminal Worker Identification Credentials; Lock Out Tag Out; Respirator Fit Testing/Trainer; Safe Tank Cleaning; Marine Transfer Competent Person.
Cari Finch – Senior Environmental Engineer
Cari is responsible for overall engineering and project management with work including operating remediation systems, site assessment, permitting, preparing plans and specifications and final report review. Daily tasks include scheduling of field personnel, ordering system components, managing system data, maintaining database of system performance including permits and evaluating system performance criteria. She conducts daily tailgate meetings and weekly progress meetings; prepares monthly status reports, prepares contract modifications and submittals; oversees quality control review, budget tracking, scheduling and coordination as it relates to planning, directing and coordinating field staff and subcontractors. With over 25 years of experience, Cari is skilled at integrating the technical and quality aspects of a project, including planning, implementation, and reporting. Cari utilizes her knowledge and experience as an active participant on various committees to provide real time knowledge of the regulatory environments that affect environmental compliance including being the Secretary of the Maryland ad hoc Committee on Oil.
• Qualifications: Licensed Professional Environmental Engineer, Maryland, District of Columbia, Delaware; OSHA certified in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120 Hazardous Waste Operations; OSHA Site Supervisor; District of Columbia Risk Assessor; MD Certified Drinking Water Sampler; Montgomery County Stormwater Facility Maintenance Contractor—Aboveground and Underground.
Mark Shearer – Safety Manager/Chemist
Mark has been employed in the environmental field for over 25 years. Mark began his career as a hazardous waste site technician before moving on to operations, disposal and project management at a mid-sized industrial environmental company in the Baltimore-Washington DC area. Mark was responsible for the development and implementation of hazardous waste programs at several key industrial, medical, academic and government sites. These sites include Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins University, NAVFAC (Southern DC Region), USDA 9Beltsville, MD) and NIST. Currently Mark is responsible for the management of the hazardous waste division at Ace. Additionally, he is Ace's Disposal Coordinator and Safety/Compliance Manager.
• Qualifications: Certified HAZWOPER Trainer 29CFR1910.120; HAZWOPER Supervisor; HAZWOPER First Responder; HWH-180; DOT Hazardous Material Handling; Confined Space Entry; Fall Protection; Lockout/Tagout; First Aid/CPR; Respiratory Protection; Lead Awareness; DOT Security Awareness; Certified DOT Supervisor Trainer.
Yvonne McMahon – Project/Sales Manager
Yvonne has over 30 years of experience in the environmental services industry starting at an entry-level position and working her way to Sales Manager by developing and maintaining accounts and by providing prompt quality and safety-oriented services. Yvonne's projects have included providing environmental cleaning and disposal of waste generated from coke oven closure, set up programs for the identification, transportation and disposal of hazardous waste drums on large projects, plant closures, which involved cleaning of tanks, piping and demolition. Working closely with field personnel to assure the projects time lines were met, Yvonne has obtained a high level of trust from her clients to "get the job done".
• Qualifications: Certified Underground Storage Systems Technician/Remover (Maryland); Certified Confined Space Worker; OSHA HAZMAT Training; CPR Training; Confined Space-29CFR 1910.146; HAZ COM-29CFR 1910.1200 (h); Workplace Violence; Driving Safety; Drug Abuse; No Free Ride (APHIS); OSHA certified in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120 Hazardous Waste Operations.
John Goodwin – UST Division Manager
John has been working in the environmental industry for more than 35 years starting his career as a field services technician and moving to an operator/driver. His career continued as a foreman, supervisor, tank tester, tank installer/remover and then a STI certified AST and cathodic protection inspector. For the first 15 years John was a spill response technician, field supervisor and operator. Since that time he has been involved with all aspects of environmental clean-up from spill technician to specializing in AST/UST removal, installation, repair, consulting, and inspections. He oversees the data collection from field services including soil and groundwater sampling. John is responsible for facilitating all aspects of Ace's UST/AST programs and part of the overall diagnostics of fluid moving equipment. He also assists in the maintenance and repair of the fleet and participates in safety training as needed.
• Qualifications: Level 1 Veeder Root Maintenance Technician; OMNTEC and INCON ATG Certified; AMRON and AO SMITH Fiberglass Pipe Certification; OPW and APT Flexible Pipe Certification; Certified Underground Storage Systems Technician/Remover (Maryland, DC); Certified Confined Space Worker-29CFR 1910.146; HAZWOPER Supervisor; Certified Underground Storage Tank (UST) Refresher Course by National Petroleum Training Institute; Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) COMAR 26.10.06.04 9UST Inspector); OSHA HAZMAT Training; CPR/First Aid Training; HAZ COM-29CFR 1910.1200 (h); OSHA certified in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.120 Hazardous Waste Operations; Class B Commercial Driver's License; RCRA Hazardous Waste Regulations; DOT Hazardous Material Handling; DOT Awareness 49CFR172.704(a)(1,4,5); Terminal Worker Identification Credentials; Lock Out Tag Out; Respirator Fit Testing; Fall Protection; Safe Tank Cleaning; Benzene/H2S/Lead Awareness; Confined Space Rescue; Driver Safety; Earthmoving Equipment Competent Person.
Innovative thinking for solving environmental challenges, limiting liability, and ensuring compliance.
Why Choose ACE?
Ace is a small business under the Federal Small Business Administration. As a fully insured and MDE-certified contractor, you can be sure that we have your best interest in mind. We assist our clients in balancing environmental objectives with business realities. Stable leadership, consistent management, and an efficient organization are the strengths that have enabled us to uphold our values and the flexibility to adapt, diversify, and grow to serve our clients' evolving needs. Our reputation is built on conscientious personnel, cost effectiveness, responsive and personal service. We keep abreast of current regulations to handle each situation properly. Our business is built with the flexibility to allow field adjustments to fit specific site requirements. We think that a small company provides better service and can be managed more effectively and many of our employees have been working in the environmental industry for over 20 years. Ace's objectives are to provide competent, professional service and to achieve complete customer satisfaction.
Ability to execute projects quickly and efficiently while providing a fresh perspective
Excellent technical skills in the areas of environmental cleanup, investigation and remediation
On staff Environmental Professional Engineer in MD, DC and DE
Institutional knowledge of environmental programs throughout the Baltimore-Washington Metro area
Demonstrated hands-on experience working with state agencies
Proven to meet and often exceed project goals, deliverable requirements and schedule, within budget
Ace maintains a fleet of more than 40 service vehicles from pick-up trucks and spill vans to vacuum/vactor trucks, dump trucks, box trucks and roll-off trucks. Most trucks are outfitted with spill response equipment and personal protective equipment. We maintain a fleet of heavy equipment including loaders, excavators, gradalls, bobcats, scissor lifts including a variety of attachments. We have more than 10 roll-off containers, supplies of drums and trailers to move our equipment as quickly as possible. We also have an assorted stock of spill response equipment and materials for quick access. We also maintain monitoring equipment for all aspects of our work including LEL/O2 meters, PIDs, and skimmers.
Maryland Motor Truck Association; Maryland ad hoc Committee on Oil; Petroleum Equipment Association; Maryland Chamber of Commerce; National Society of Professional Engineers; Society of American Military Engineers; American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists; Blue Water Baltimore; Chesapeake Stormwater Network; Waterfront Partnership of Baltimore
Licenses and Certifications
- Maryland Department of the Environment – Oil Operations Permit
- Maryland Certified Drinking Water Samplers
- State of Maryland Engineering License
- State of Maryland Business License
- Maryland Department of the Environment – Controlled Hazardous Substance Hauler
- District of Columbia Business License
- District of Columbia UST Installer/Remover License
- Commonwealth of Virginia Business License
- Commonwealth of Virginia Class B Contractor License
- City of Alexandria Business License
- Marine Transfer Certification (PIC)
- Transportation Worker Identification Credentials
- DOT Hazardous Material Transportation Certification
- Class A, B and C Commercial Driver's License